1. Table of contents

Licence summary

If you operate a skip hire business or own skips you need a permit from Falkirk Council to put a builder's skip on a public road.

Eligibility criteria

Under Section 85 of the Roads (Scotland) Act 1984, it is an offence to deposit a builder's skip on any road without permission of the Roads Authority. It should be noted that the terms 'road' encompasses the carriageway, footway and/or verge of any road and any remote public footpath or cycle track.

Regulation summary

Application evaluation process

The Transport (Scotland) Act 2005, Section 19, requires Roads Authorities to co-ordinate all occupations within the road boundary. All occupations on the road must be registered by the Roads Authority and the Scottish Roadwork's Register (SRWR) to ensure that conflicts are minimised.

A skip must be clearly marked with the owner's name and address or telephone number.

A fee will be payable for permits and if granted, you must comply with any conditions attached to a permission.

Fee type Cost
Skip permit £36.70 per week or part thereof

Will tacit consent apply?

No. It is in the public interest that Falkirk Council must process your application before it can be granted.

If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us.

How to apply

Please submit a copy of a location plan, to a scale of not less than 1:1250, with your application.

These must be submitted at least 7 days in advance of the required siting date.

Apply online

To apply to place a skip on a public road or highway or to extend a skip permit, please email roads.permits@falkirk.gov.uk.

Guidance notes
Standard conditions


  • Have you read and understood all of the guidance notes?
  • Have you completed all of the application form?
  • Have you included all the relevant documents and drawings?
  • Have you paid the relevant fee?

Failed application and licence holder redress

Please contact us in the first instance.

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter. Please ensure you obtain proof of delivery.

If the outcome is still unsatisfactory, UK residents may contact Citizens Advice consumer service for further advice.

Residents from outside the UK can contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other redress

The applicant's attention is drawn to the following:

Section 85 (1), (2), (5) of the Roads (Scotland) Act 1984 empowers the local Roads Authority to impose conditions to its permission relating in particular to the siting and lighting of the skip, the care and contents of the skip and the removal of the skip at the end of the period of the permission. Section 85 (3) makes it an offence to use a skip in contravention of the Act and specifies a fine not exceeding £400.

Section 86 of the Roads (Scotland) Act 1984 empowers a police officer to have removed or repositioned any builder's skip which is causing or likely to cause a danger or obstruction irrespective of permission being granted under Section 85 and empowers the Roads Authority to remove or reposition a builder's skip where there is a contravention of a condition attached to permission, and in each case any reasonable costs incurred may be recovered from the owner. Failure to comply with a request to remove or reposition a skip may result in a fine not exceeding £100.