If you wish to sell alcohol, your premises must be licensed. If you are building or converting premises, then you may apply for a provisional premises licence before the premises are completed.

Applications are made to your local Licensing Board.

You must be 18 years or older to make the application, and the application must include:

  • a description of the premises
  • an operating plan
  • 6 copies of the layout plan of the premises to a scale of 1:100. The layout plan must comply with regulations. A layout plan checklist is available below:
    Layout plan checklist
  • Section 50 certificates
  • You must apply for Section 50 certificates using the online form:

    If you have any queries about the Section 50 certificates contact the teams directly:

  • a written statement detailing how you, as the premises licence holder, would address the 5 licensing objectives detailed in the Licensing (Scotland) Act 2005 which are:
    1. preventing crime and disorder
    2. securing public safety
    3. preventing public nuisance
    4. protecting and improving public health
    5. protecting children and young persons from harm

    We also ask that such a statement is submitted by the new Premises Licence Holder when a Premises Licence is transferred.

Your premises will also need a personal licence holder to sell and authorise the sale of alcohol. This person is known as the Designated Premises Manager (DPM). A person can only be the Designated Premises Manager of one premises at a time.

Mandatory conditions will be attached to your licence and the Board may decide to put additional conditions on your licence.

Mandatory conditions

Disability Access and Facilities Statement

From 30 March 2018, there is a legal requirement that an applicant for an alcohol premises licence or provisional premises licence must include a Disabled Access and Facilities Statement with their application. Although the Statement must be submitted with the application, it does not form part of the licence. The statement must be in the prescribed form.

Disability Access Statement

The Scottish Government has published non-mandatory guidance to help you write your Statement and you should read through this guidance before doing so. The Guidance also provides links to other sources of helpful information.

Annual fees

Premises licences are transferable and do not have to be renewed but you do have to pay an annual retention fee. Failure to pay the retention fee will result in the loss of your licence. There are different levels of fees which are banded according to the rateable value of the premises.

The annual fee is payable before 1st October each year and we will send you a written reminder.

Variation to your Premises Licence

You must apply to the Board to vary your premises licence if you want to make any changes. For example, a change of Designated Premises Manager, a change to the information contained in your operating plan, or a change to the layout plan.

Any person may make an objection to an application on any relevant ground of refusal by way of a notice to the Licensing Board.

Any person may make representations to the Licensing Board concerning an application:

  • supporting the application
  • requesting that modifications be made to the operation plan
  • requesting that conditions be imposed should the application be granted

Requesting a review of a Premises Licence

Any person may apply to the Licensing Board for a review of the licence. Grounds for review are that one or more of the conditions have been breached or for any other ground relevant to the licensing objectives. A hearing must be held in relation to the application.

How to apply

Your completed application form, supporting documentation and fee should be sent to:


Other guidance

Statement of Licensing Policy (November 2023)