New temporary work has started across the Falkirk area that will make places safer for people to walk, cycle or wheel during the COVID-19 pandemic.
As part of the ‘Spaces for People’ project, £188k has been allocated to Falkirk Council from Scottish Government to introduce a wide range of measures allowing residents to make safer journeys for exercise and essential journeys.
Work will include:
- The re-allocation of road space to reduce conflict and create a safer environment for walking and cycling.
- The provision of additional cycle parking spaces at various locations to encourage sustainable active travel to areas of employment and retail.
- Improved links to the canal towpath network across Falkirk.
Work is expected to be completed by mid-May 2021.
Locations of cycle parking spaces:
- The Forum, Callendar Business Park, Falkirk
- Municipal Buildings, Falkirk
- Callendar Business Park, Falkirk
- Central Business Park, Larbert
- Main Street, Camelon (near Sheriff Court)
- Adjacent to Aldi, Polmont
- Greenpark Educational Centre, Polmont
- Howgate Shopping Centre, Falkirk
Canal work will take place at:
- Lock 16 to Union Canal – widening of existing footway linking the Forth and Clyde to the Union Canal south of Glenfuir Road.
- Bankside / Grahams Road - Improve access to towpath via improved traffic signals and cycle stopping area adjacent to Grahams Road.
Road restrictions have been promoted and installed at:
- Hamilton Road / Bogend Road, Larbert
- Nicolton Road, Rumford
- Denovan Road, Dunipace
- Airth to Higgins Neuk